Today we will share recipes and how to cook Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup , very suitable for special dishes of family and friends.
Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup
As a crazy busy Chef and Culinary Instructor, you know I'm obviously all about the, "deliciously easy." After all, who ever said super easy and pre-fabed food can't be absolutely nom nom nommy!? The stuck up. That's who!
Anyway, at 1:00 a.m., last night my ravenous wife woke and decided she had a terrible craving for a spicy, steamy, Asian Hot & Sour Soup. Preferably Thai based. Hence the use of coconut, lime, Thai Basil, Thai Chilies and fresh mint. [all optional ingredients] With of course, her favorite thick, meaty, steamed juicy dumplings.
She also politely [rolling eyes] requested it all with the quickness. So, I decided to incorporate both for her temperamental, demamding midnight tummy. Since her wish is my eternal command, I obliged. Tho I'll easily admit, I do love making that sweet little baby girl smile. No matter what time of night it is!
Anywho, if you have these basic Asian ingredients at the ready, this dish can be made with lightening speed. My total prep time was less than 5 minutes. Three minutes actually. My total simmer time was less than 5 minutes as well. [thank God cause my girl was beyond hungry. in fact, she was what i'd actually call, "hangry"] Sheeze! I'm surprised she didn't bite me.
In the end, she adored her tummy soothing, spicy dumpling soup and fell right back into deep slumber. So all in all, know I'm a happy spouse and Chef! Albit a bit sleepy. 😴 Oh well, happy wife - happy life, right?!
I hope it pleases you and yours as well! With that, remember - "Always marry a Chef. Looks fade. Hunger doesn't."
Ingredients Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup
Before starting to cook, prepare the ingredients first. Here are the ingredients that must be prepared to make Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup :
- 1 Packet Quality Hot & Sour Soup
- 12 Frozen Small Steamed Meat & Mushroom Dumplings [your choice - steamed in microwave]
- 2 1/2 Cups Beef Broth [instead of water - but substitute the exact amount manufacture calls for]
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Thai Basil [chopped + reserves for garnish]
- to taste Sushi Nori [dried seaweed - broken into small pieces - be careful with these as they can taste pretty fishy!]
- 1 tsp Fresh Mint [chopped + reserves for garnish - optional]
- 3 Thai Chilies [minced - optional]
- 1 Dash Coconut Milk [optional - only if you want that Thai flavor]
- 1/8 Cup Water Chestnuts [chopped]
- to taste Fresh Bean Sprouts
- 1 tsp Lemon Grass [fine minced]
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives [minced]
- 1 Dash Lime Juice
- 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Quality Fish Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Cloves Fresh Garlic [smashed & minced]
- 1/2 tbsp Pickled Ginger [minced]
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
- as needed Chow Mein Noodles
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch & 1 tbsp Water [mixed well & added to your simmering pot - optional - only if you want to thicken your broth]
Steps Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup
After all the ingredients are ready, it's time to start cooking. Here are the steps for cooking Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup:
This and the next three photos below are what you'll need. Lemon Grass and sprouts not pictured. Sorry, it was late and I forgot.
Coconut milk, soy sauce, Thai Chilies and fresh garlic cloves pictured.
Water Chestnuts pictured.
Boil your eggs. Bring eggs to a boil and shut off heat. Let set for 18 minutes covered, then chill. I always have boiled eggs at the ready in my fridge so that always saves some precious time for me.
Quick chop what herbs that need be. Including garlic. Chives, Thai Basil, fresh mint and red pepper flakes pictured below.
Microwave your dumplings as per your manufactures directions. Usually 1 minute is all it takes. You can easily find these delicious little juicy bad boys at your local Asian market. Or, even Costco or Sams Club if you have a membership there.
Add everything except for boiled eggs and garnishments and simmer your soup. Add your corn starch and water mixture at end of high simmer if you want to thicken your broth. After all, you do want your broth to literally cling to your dumplings.
Then, add your pre-steamed hot dumplings and gently stir.
Garnish your soup with fresh Thai Basil, fresh mint, and top with sliced boiled eggs. Also, add crunchy Chow Mein Noodles. Serve with sides of Soy Sauce, fish sauce and chilled pickled Ginger. Enjoy your tiny midnight taste of Thailand!
That's how to make Mike's Spicy Hot & Sour Dumpling Soup
Come on, try it now and don't forget to share it :) .. Thank you